Tuesday 2 October 2012

Sweet Potato Cottage Pie thingy


Okay, so it doesn't look great, but you need to get over that. I have a crappy phone, the pie looked better in person, but not super-great.

This is dead simple to make, the ingredients aren't too crazy. No one's reinventing the wheel, but yesterday was Monday, then after work I had college, so if you want something that's pretty tasty but you can be arsed to make at 9pm then this might just be for you.

Two things: this has no added fat. I'm a big fat fuck and I'd like to change that. I really don't think this would have benefited from any added fat, so that's nice. Secondly, my flatmate's fella was round last night, I offered him some, he ate it and afterwards said "You know, I reckon I could be veggie."

I'm just sayin'.

Ingredients.
3x small sweet potatoes - peeled, chopped
Some (couple o' big handfulls?)  TVP/soya mince (the dried shit cos I'm cheap)
1x big handful frozen peas
1x red pepper
1x medium onion
2x big cloves garlic
1x tsp yeast extract/stock ( I used Vecon which you can get in hippie stores inc. H&B)
1x tsp cumin powder
black pepper

These quantities are based on whatever the hell size dish that is up there. You should be able to figure out if you need more/less. I mean, you have some kinda spatial awareness, right?

Boil salted water & chuck the sweet potatoes in.
In a another saucepan put yeast extract in water & simmer, add chopped onion, crushed garlic & cumin.
Add your TVP & simmer til it stops looking like sawdust and starts looking a bit like tasty fake meat.
Chuck in yr peas at the end.
Add the mix to the oven dish.
Take sweet potatoes of the boil, removes excess water, mash & add black pepper.
Put the mash on top of the fake mix & stick the lot in the oven.

You don't have to put it in the oven, I think I do that more out of habit (at about 200.c). As there's not extra fat in the topping it won't get the crisp golden layer. If yr mad for it you could brush some oil or melted marge over the top and that should do the trick.

After that you might wanna let it sit for a while cos this shit'll burn your face off.

You may have noticed we didn't do anything with the red pepper. this is because I meant to dice it and throw it in just before putting the pie in the oven, but I forgot. So in the end I sat around eating diced red pepper while waiting for the pie to finish. It was actually pretty okay as a starter and counts as two portions of fruit/veg. So go me!

I also meant to serve some green beans with this but I forgot. I have plans for those babies anyway, so it's not all bad.

A note on stock:  I used Vecon cos I think it's pretty good. You could use Marmite or any supermarket knock-off, or even gravy granules (loads are vegan, including a couple of the Bisto ones - check the label).

No comments:

Post a Comment